Sunday 11 May 2014

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the hard-working and long-loving mums out there.
I hope all mums out there were indulged today. I think Mother's Day should be at least twice a year!
My husband completely surprised me with the most fabulous "primal" breakfast (that is, dairy was blessedly included). It was a recipe from my mummy's day present: the I Quit Sugar For Life recipe book. I had made Gwyneth's Paleo Bread, which he had topped with mashed avocado, fresh raspberries and the most divine goat's milk brie. What a great mix.



For our evening feast we had an antipasto platter of pate, salami, ham, sicilian olives, semi dried tomatoes, carrot sticks and more of that really good goat's milk brie. The boys love meals like that - we all sit round big platters and help ourselves to different flavour combinations.

I've had a big week of sweet potato folks. I competed in a sprint distance triathlon yesterday, so I really wanted to have a full tank before the competition. With one humble sweet potato, I made fritters for two lunches and PaleOMG's pumpkin bread (substituting the pumpkin for sweet potato). The bread was even popular with my boys. It was moist and the generous amount of nutmeg was really enticing. I had a slice of it the morning of my tri for some long and slow burning carbs.



The fritters were a basic recipe: 1 and a half cups of mashed sweet potato mixed in with about 150g tinned salmon, 1 beaten egg, a couple of tablespoons of fresh herbs, salt and pepper. I make little patties and fry them in some coconut milk or extra virgin olive oil. Then I made a big pile of rocket, avocado, tomato and cucumber and placed the patties on top. There was a quick dressing of 1 teaspoon of mayo, 1 tablespoon of coconut cream/milk and 1 tablespoon of chermoula paste to pour over it all.



We had guests over for pizza mid-week. I love making pizza dough - there's nothing better than the smell of the dough raising in the kitchen. To make a primal version, I baked a whole sweet potato, split it open and made it into a "pizza". I sat the potato in a sea of ranchero sauce, then dolloped blue cheese, bacon and roasted red pepper on top and grilled it til bubbling. Really filling but delicious and especially spectacular made with a purple sweet potato - that is, the flesh was a rich, royal purple (not the one in this picture below.)



I actually had the same dinner two nights in a row and the night before my race I wanted something not quite so high in fibre, so I made some plantain fritters, which I served with the same salad of lettuce, avocado, tomato and chermoula dressing. I used half the mixture then and cooked up the other half when I got back from the tri - starving and trying to avoid the packet of crisps sitting in the cupboard!



I almost forgot to mention my great excitement - it's now pumpkin soup time! I LOVE pumpkin soup and was stoked to make it this week for a scrumptious lunch. I roast half a butternut pumpkin, a couple of carrots and a bulb of garlic. Then I saute an onion and some rashers of bacon if I have them on hand. Add some dry roasted cumin, all the roasted veggies, several chicken stock cubes, cover the lot with water and bring it to the boil. Once I've blended it ,I then add half a tin of coconut milk. This one, I served with a plantain bread cheese toastie. To be honest the plantain bread didn't work well like this. It was nicer when I toasted it in the Breville and let the bread crispen up a bit more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment