Monday 12 October 2015

Day One of Bountiful Heart

I wanted to blog our journey with the Bountiful Hearts.
So I am going to follow Krys Lojek's beautiful and bountiful menu plan in order to kick start some new habits (lemon juice and water when I get up in the morning rather than my beloved coffee) and re-establish some old habits (no dried fruit treats after dinner every night, just once or twice a week).

I love Krys' approach to food as I know it's the key to long-lasting healthy eating. If you fill up on the good stuff, you won't want, need or have to have the bad stuff.

The Bountiful Hearts were most courageous today, turning up at 5:45 to complete their pre-exercise questionnaire and strength test. That was followed by a seven minute H.I.I.T. and then a single round of conditioning for the legs and abs. Well done Hearts!

Breakfast started with a super smoothie bowl: frozen raspberries and blueberries, half a banana, almond milk, a large handful of kale and a dash of maca powder. All topped off with Krys' Healthy Seeded Mix and Berry Coconut Yoghurt (recipes in the previous blog) and some goji berries - just coz the colours looked pretty!


Lunch was a salad bowl. I love a salad bowl: tucking into a mountain of veggies. This one was zucchini strips, steamed broccoli, left-over roasted cauliflower, capsicum, 1/4 an avocado, 1 sardine (I'd usually have half a tin, but someone had been into the tin before me) and my tahini yoghurt dressing that I'd made to go with the cauliflower last night.


As a side dish to my roast chook last night, I'd made this adaption from the Donna Hay "The New Easy" recipe book: Moroccan Cauliflower Salad.
1 head of cauliflower cut into florets or thick steaks
2 T EVOO
Cumin and coriander seeds ground up
S & P
Toss these ingredients and place on a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and roast at 180oC for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Arrange several large handfuls of rocket on a serving dish and scatter cauliflower over this.

Make the super delicious tahini dressing with 1/2 cup plain Greek yoghurt, 2 Tablespoons tahini paste, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, 1 small garlic clove finely minced, 1 teaspoon mustard, S&P and 1/2 cup of water. Shake well and drizzle the dressing over the veggies. Lastly scatter some parsley, raisins and capers over for tang and a wee bit of sweetness.

Dinner was supposed to be a Chicken Tray Bake, but I used up last night's roast chook and veggies.
I made a hash brown out of the roasted sweet potatoes by adding sauteed onion, garlic, chili and capsicum and bound it all together with an egg. I baked this til golden.

On top of the hash mash once it was baked, I placed roasted celery, carrot strips and broccoli (with some more of that great dressing), then I added some roast chook warmed through with some homemade tomato sauce. Quite experimental but yummy, healthy and filling.

My son looked at Krys' meal plan and noted that she hadn't included any desserts - not even a single one!! I'm sure there'll be the odd slip-up and the odd cake made, but for today, we've all eaten so clean and satisfyingly, we don't even have room for a treat.

Cheers
Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment