Tuesday 27 October 2015

Krys Lojek's Delicious Menu Plans

Hello Bountiful Hearts

Gosh darn we're so blessed to have the talents of Krys Lojek, our resident nutritionist and Belinda Eady, Balgowlah's most experienced PT, bar none.

It really was a colliding of the planets when I said to Belinda "I've got this idea that I can't get off the ground" and that Pocket-Rocket got so enthused about the idea, she nearly tripped up on herself! Such wonderful, contagious enthusiasm that woman has.

She roped in Krys to hear my idea and from that little boat shed in North Harbour Marina Bountiful Hearts finally grew wings.

Thank you guys for your wonderful support and enthusiasm. Just the kind of women you want with you on this fantastic journey.

I am following Krys' menu plans... during the week and then there's the weekend.

I don't think I'm alone when I admit to having certain "deviations" in the weekend eating. Firstly, it's a habit. Friday evening comes and there's a little sigh, a little loosening of the neck, jaw muscles and waistband!! I reach for a cold beer for hubby and I, and give all family members a handful of crisps - aahhhhhh. 

The trick is to allow yourself a deviation for one meal; enjoy it, take the time to chew or sip slowly, contemplate your week's achievements and how much you've relished your new health and fitness program. 

Maybe you've a big weekend planned and you end up having two "deviations". Just get up the next day and get back on track. Don't sabotage your hard work by throwing in the towel and saying "to hell with it". Tell yourself it's not a diet; you're not eating less but eating more of the right things. And then make yourself a huge green salad bowl and chow down.

Last weekend I didn't want to torture myself by watching the family eat pizza, so I revisited the cauliflower pizza recipe. It's been a disaster in the past. I guarantee my family will never go near a cauliflower pizza again! So with only my taste buds to please, I mixed and merged several recipes and came up with this:

I made a daikon radish and carrot salad to go with it. Delicious.

So the base recipe was:
1 whole cauliflower, processed in the blender til resembling rice
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 Tablespoons almond flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
A couple of tablespoons of fresh herbs, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic or onion powder (or a fresh clove of garlic crushed)
2 Tablespoons of yeast (this gave it a more authentic pizza dough smell & taste, but is optional)
2 large eggs, lightly whisked

Transfer the cauliflower "rice" to an oven set at 200oC and bake for 15 minutes. Cool.
Place cauli in a clean tea towel or doubled Chux cloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
Transfer to a bowl and add all the other ingredients.
Spread mixture onto a pizza or oven tray, flattening with your hands to make a large pizza crust about 1/2 cm thick. I divided my mixture and froze the other half. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Once baked, top it with your chosen "deviation" ingredients. I put on a washed rind cheese and some prosciutto. Because the flavours are so intense, you don't need much. 
Other ideas are sun-dried tomato pesto, asparagus, chicken (previously cooked), bocconcini, walnuts and lemon zest. 
Or tuna, anchovies, olives, feta, red onion and capers (salt alert!)

The point is, you can have a deviation, but it doesn't have to bomb all your hard work. Try to stick to the menu plan and you'll find that you actually don't want that Tim Tam, double scoop of ice cream or serve of hot chips. You will crave more of the good and satisfying food that you're making right in your own home.

Enjoy the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment