Wednesday 9 April 2014

101 (or almost) Things to do with coconut

Day 23: I haven't blogged for several days as I have been eating curry leftovers!! Ah! How I love a good leftover. I was also a bit bummed out on Monday as my tummy was really dodgey again. The only thing I could put it down to was the wine. Yes, one glass would have been OK, but as birthday boy brought along such wonderful wines, I couldn't help the lush that lies within. Things are good again now. I did try a few new recipes...

Breakfast - I wanted something more substantial than a smoothie, and yet I was too lazy to attempt to massacre the fresh coconut sitting in my fruit bowl. It really is a labour of love to get all the flesh off the husk. So I went onto one of my favourite websites: PaleOMG.com. This chick obviously has a sweet tooth, but I love that she works out like a demon and has a huge appetite! I chose this pancake recipe, but I didn't put on the granola; I sliced up apple instead. That mixture lasted three mornings for three pancakes. The pancakes were really fluffy, light and "sweet" from the ripe banana I used. 




Then I discovered yet more things to do with coconut. Who knew? It really is a whole new world out there once you start trawling through the Paleo sites. So I made this coffee creamer, in order to jazz up my java. Just a nice change from the almond milk.

Then... I read that I could make my own almond butter AND coconut butter. So to give my Magimix yet more of a work out, I made several jars of coconut butter. One jar I left plain; the other portion I added cacao powder to. This really dried up the buttery-ness of Juli's recipe, but I discovered it melts nicely on my banana pancakes. 

Dinner - My latest experiment: Chorizo, Onion and Sweet Potato Frittata
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
2 chorizo sausages, sliced
1 purple sweet potato, chopped into 1cm dice. The purple ones work well for my family as the flesh is white and the kids don't know it's sweet potato!
1 onion, chopped
6 eggs
1/2 cup coconut cream
A handful of spinach

Heat the grill in your oven.
Put the onion and sweet potato into an overproof pan with the oil and saute on a low-medium heat until the onion is caramelised. Set aside. Put the sausage in the pan and saute til cooked. Put aside and mix with the veggies. Whisk the eggs, season with s&p and add the coconut cream. Layer the veggies and meat into the ovenproof pan and pour the egg mixture over. Cook gently til the egg is almost completely set and golden. Then put it under the grill for 5 minutes until cooked and puffy. Serve with a light leafy salad, or whatever you had to hand that the kids would eat. Cheers




2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog Lou. It has made me go out and buy coconut oil, raw cacao and almonds which you know is most unlike me. I have even made Bliss balls and Barney 'the child who eats nothing healthy' has been asking for them. Result! If you feature a recipe, such as the pancake one above, do you think you could link back to the actual recipe please? As long as you've got your linky links in place, blogger etiquette is sorted. If I have to search for the recipe, I get an attack of the lazies I'm afraid. Thanks ever so. PS GREAT tip on the purple sweet potato. I am definitely going to try hoodwinking the boys with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would now like to add that I am a buffoon because you er, DID link back to the recipe. High five, you!

    ReplyDelete