Sunday 13 April 2014

I'll skip on the Skippy next time

Day 27: What an awesome start to the day: bootcamp with 60 other keen beans in support of Autism Awareness Month. 



My friend and bootcamp organiser had made a raft of food, including bliss balls that rocked!! Almond butter, honey, coconut and chia seeds. So sweet and moreish. Best bliss balls going. I'll ask her to share her recipe with us.

The night before I'd experimented on my long-suffering family... again! This time I took Nigella's perfectly sensible meatloaf recipe and Australianised it with kangaroo mince. Hey, it was available at Aldi and I thought I'd give it a try. I've tried roo steaks before and I know that the meat is extremely high in iron and very lean. Nigella's recipe and my tweaks went like this:

From Nigella Lawson's "Kitchen"
Ed's mother's Meatloaf
Serves 8-10

4 eggs
4 onions, chopped
4 Tablespoons butter
1 tsp sea salt flakes or 1/2 tsp pouring salt
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (not paleo - maybe a couple of anchovies instead for Paleo version)
900gm beef mince (I used kangaroo mince0
100gm fresh breadcrumbs (I used 100gm almond meal)
225gm rindless streaky bacon (I used shoulder bacon as it was all I had in the fridge)

Preheat oven to 200oC. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and hard boil 3 of the eggs for 7 minutes.
Heat the butter and cook the onions gently, sprinkled with the salt for about 20-25 minutes til they are golden and catching on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the pan and cool.
Mix mince and Worcestershire sauce, add onions and work everything together.
Add remaining egg and mix again before adding the breadcrumbs/almond meal.
Divide the mix into 2. In a large roasting tin make the bottom half of the meatloaf by patting half the mince into a flattish ovoid shape approx 23 cm long. Place the peeled hard boiled eggs in a row down the middle of the meatloaf.
Shape the remaining mince mix over the top of the eggs and pat into a solid loaf shape.
Cover the meatloaf with rashers of bacon, as if it were a terrine, tucking the bacon ends underneath the meatloaf to avoid its curling up as it cooks.
Bake for 1 hour, til the juices run clear. Rest out of the oven for 15 mins. Pour the meat juices over the slices as you serve them.
I served mine with mashed spud and sauteed brussel sprouts and kale.



Now for the verdict..... The boys loved it. I found the smell of the meat rather off-putting. I liked the taste, but I would probably stick to beef mince next time. Nigella swears by meatloaf sandwiches the next day, with a dark rye bread and loads of mustard and mayo.

The next night's dinner was much tastier. I had a batch of Paleo nacho mix in the freezer and I roasted some wedges of pumpkin to serve as the base for the nacho meat sauce. A little bit of Friday night's salsa and some chunks of avocado and I was in a Paleo-Mexico-heaven-o




No comments:

Post a Comment