Tuesday 15 April 2014

Great foodie moments with the kids

Day 29: Almost there! As the end of my month of Paleo eating is almost finished, I'm still finding my way with smoothies. I tried putting a spoonful of turmeric and ginger in my smoothie as I'd read they were anti-inflammatory spices. Yikes! Curry tasting smoothie = blah. 

Last night I pulled out the raclette grill. It really is one of the kids' favourite family meals: marinated rump steak, sliced up very finely along with zucchini, red pepper and sweet potato. You could add onions, mushrooms, fennel, anything that you can put on a grill. The kids get into it as they're "in charge" of the cooking. They also have slices of cheese grilled on good quality sourdough. It really is true, that the more you involve the kids in the meal preparation, the more they enjoy the food. 



As we're into the second day of the school holidays, I was happy the boys came up with their own great ideas for entertainment. Firstly it involved a mini-biathlon - a bike ride, several cross country laps of the park and then a bush walk. When we came home all starvin Hank Marvin, they wanted to play Masterchefs. So they each created their own salad in a set time; counting down and flustering over placement of parsley - and then they even ate it! I was so proud of them - chopping and garnishing and eating healthily. Yay. Something must be sinking in. Their creations weren't strictly Paleo, but they wanted me to blog them. 




Mine was a combo of roasted pumpkin, salad leaves, celery, mint and tinned salmon. On the left we had beef strips, celery, red pepper, capers and salad leaves with a garlic aioli. On the right there was the moreish combination of ham, cheese, gherkins, carrot, red pepper, extra virgin olive oil applied judiciously and parsley. I was bursting with feel-good mummyness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment