Wednesday 16 April 2014

30 days of wholesome eating

Day 30: WOW! That month flew by. Unbelievable. I really enjoyed the whole process; from finding a whole world of Paleo bloggers and practitioners out there, to discovering a trillion different things to do with coconut. 

To analyse the results; my first week was spent in detox. Yes, I had a cold, but I was utterly drained and wracked with body aches - withdrawal for sure. 
In the second week I was back up to full speed, culminating in my surf/yoga weekend. My buddy was such a trooper joining me in eating like a cave woman and we were both bursting with energy during the whole, very physical weekend. 
Still had loads of energy and a great feeling of well-being through the third week and was convinced I had found the solution to my digestive disorder. 
Then things hit a bit of a speed bump: I had a few too many wines on our curry night and it put me in the doldrums for the next day or two and I had to resort to my old level of medication. I was really bummed out.

It took the wisdom and patience of my wonderful husband to point out this Paleo food plan still has been a great success. I've reduced my medication levels; I have much better energy, particularly in the afternoon and a much healthier mental state.

There have been quite a few highlights: 
  • Proving that Paleo could be achieved within a tight budget. I think my food bill increased by about 25%, but the quality of food that the whole family have been enjoying has gone up by 50%. In my family's weekly food intake I've virtually eliminated processed meats, except for Dad's Famous Bacon Butties in the weekend. I've reduced their crackers and treats by 50%, but increased the nuts, seeds, dried fruit and meat to compensate.
  • Discovering that it can fit in with social engagements. OK, so I resorted to potato chips once or twice in order to eat something when out, but I was mindful not to pig out as I've noted in the past that hot chips can give me a tummy ache (it could have been something to do with the quantity not the quality!)
  • Paleo Eggplant Parmesan - seriously. You have to try this one. It freezes beautifully too. 
  • Chocolate Coffee Caramel Bar - Just thinking about this makes me want to go to the freezer and get that last little smidgen out and scoff it. How I made it last three weeks I don't know? In fact most treats on PaleOMG's website sound fantastic. 
  • Exercising that oft neglected body part - the discipline muscle. Think of discipline as a muscle: the more you use it the stronger it becomes. 
Where to from here?
I honestly think I could continue this style of eating indefinitely. However the food I've missed the most is yoghurt. It's always been my favourite food - Greek, full fat, lick-the-lid-the-moment-you-peel-back-the-top. So I'm going to add dairy back in. 

Having done various Elimination Diets over the years, the technique is to add one food group back in at a time. So for dairy you add in 1-3 cups of milk each day. Do this for 7 days. Stop if the more you eat of whatever food group you are trying, the more your symptoms worsen. If you have no symptoms after 7 days you can leave dairy in your diet and go onto trying wheat flour. For this challenge, eat 1 cup of plain cooked pasta every day for 7 days. If no symptoms, then try bread by eating 4 slices of unpreserved bread every day for 7 days. I'll also test out rice and legumes.

I would like the majority of my eating to be Paleo, but I just need to know if these other food groups are problematic for me. 

It's been a great adventure and one I highly recommend for anyone with food intolerances, weight to lose or questions to answer. In the future I'll blog any new recipes I experiment with. Which reminds me, I made these yesterday: cherry ripe chocolate truffles. They are only "OK". There were stones left in the cherries, which I didn't notice til I turned on the blender. Annoying. They definitely won't cut it as a Easter egg substitute, so I'll continue the search to satisfy my chocolate expectations...



Thank you for tuning in to my stories. I hope I have inspired you to try to eat wholesome, unprocessed, healthy food 80% of the time. 

Remember the KEY is to Keep Encouraging Yourself.

x





No comments:

Post a Comment