Monday 31 March 2014

Boundless energy; beautiful waves

Day 14: That's two weeks - half way there! 
Hello. I'm back from my surf and yoga weekend retreat. It was fabulous. Fabulous because I got to surf for 10 hours over three days; fabulous because I was on the road with my fabulous and funny surfing buddy and fabulous because I was able to stop, take a breath and decompress. I was so grateful to my husband for allowing me to go away - but truth be known; I think we all need to step away every now and then, in order to see the bigger picture and take some time to consider all those things and people we are grateful for. Lawks! Three days of om-ing whilst in prayer position and I turn into a yogic oracle! We were in Broulee with Tidal Dreamings and I highly recommend them for both beginner and beginner+ level surfers.  We ate so healthily over the four days we were away. My surfing buddy decided to pretty much join me in my Paleo eating style and I think I converted her to C.A.D.A. We were exercising six hours a day and enjoyed each and every morsel we ate. I was really stoked with my invention of chicken breast strips wrapped in prosciutto. I took two chicken breasts, sliced each one into four and wrapped all eight strips in a slice of prosciutto, then pan-fried them with some oregano and sage leaves. The salad was simply boiled cauliflower with cherry tomatoes, basil leaves, a slice or two of avocado and my salad dressing. 




Breakfast - I woke up so hungry I could've eaten a woolly mammoth! Over the weekend I'd made my two room mates get up for brekkie before a two hour sunrise surf, so at 6 a.m. this morning my tummy was wondering why it hadn't been attended to yet. Left-over C.A.D.A. didn't even touch the sides, so I had to have some sweet potato mashed with coconut milk to fill me up a bit. With all my new-found skills and confidence I hit my usual surfing spot, ready to rip... only to find the surf was scary big and that I had no oomph left in my arms to paddle through the white wash. Still good to be in the water and get those couple of waves though. 

Lunch - as I hadn't been shopping, the fridge was looking pretty bare. A quick saute of mushrooms, celery, roasted pumpkin and thyme leaves topped with a hard boiled egg hit the spot.

Dinner - Hubby made me this wonderful prawn dish from the paleomom site, last night when I got home from Broulee. He did it just with the frozen prawns we had in the freezer. In trying not to be my usual controlling self, I didn't offer any advice with the spices. As we didn't have any curry powder (I always make my own mix), he grabbed a box of Indian dahl spice and used the recommended 1 tablespoon.... it blew my poor darling's head off and he couldn't eat it. Bonus, as I LOVED it and was able to have his serving tonight for my dinner!

One more thing as a post-script: going on holiday was the ultimate litmus test for my Paleo food plan, as my tummy never behaves itself when I go away. I inevitably return home bloated, uncomfortable and dreading the next morning as I have to take my "serious dose" of medication. However, for the first time in probably fifteen plus years, I had no problems at all. I had endless energy for the demands put on my body and just felt so invigorated. I strongly suspect the next two weeks aren't going to be the last two weeks of Paleo eating in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment