Thursday 20 March 2014

Say NO to the kale in your smoothie!


Day 3: The head cold is abating but I'm still feeling pathetic, so again, no exercise for me today. Despite really enjoying yesterday's menu, there just wasn't enough veg, so I set out to correct that today...
Breakfast - a smoothie is a great way to pack loads of vegies and fruit into your daily quota. I usually make mine with a scoop of whey protein, but as that's off the Paleo list, I tried to create that luscious thickness with quarter of an avocado, a handful of spinach, half a banana, an unripe kiwi that resembled a furry green bullet, half a cup of coconut water, half a cup of water and a dollop of coconut milk. It was delicious - not too sweet due to the lack of fructose in my unripe kiwi. Now, I've tried adding kale to smoothies, but c'mon people! You can't be enjoying this? It's like adding that old-fashioned curly parsley to it - it's all prickly on your tongue. There are such nicer things to do with kale. 







Lunch - my stock standard salad came in handy toKday as a way to satiate my need for vegies. I usually throw in whatever is lurking in the fridge, but for aesthetic reasons, I'm now trying to make my food with a bit more thought and careful garnish placement. I love my salads and my salad dressing. I use a vegie peeler to make long ribbons of carrot, add whatever lettuce is around, more roasted vegies, some avocado and then about 100gm of tuna. My dressing is always one third balsamic vinegar, two thirds extra virgin olive oil, a heaped teaspoon of mustard, juice of half a lemon, one crushed clove of garlic and s & p. Pre-Paleo I always added a heaped teaspoon of honey, but I didn't even miss it in today's version. This WAS a big salad and took two sittings to get through. I do realise that it's a bit creepy showing everyone my food intake for the day. You must all be thinking I'm the size of a whale!



Dinner - I was excited (how sad) that the latest Coles food mag had some Paleo friendly recipes, so this dish was complements of Curtis and his team. It was another family winner and was so easy - on the table in 45 minutes from stepping inside with ravenous children.



I don't know what happened to all the pretty pictures I put up on yesterday's blog. I need my technologically-savvy husband to investigate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment