Sunday 23 March 2014

Getting inventive to keep it fresh

Day 6: The first thing I googled this morning was "bored with Paleo". Not a cheerful start. I think I was a bit morose about not joining in with my friends to have fish and chips and a lovely Barossa wine on the beach the night before. I like to have fun with my friends and instead I just felt a bit more neurotic than usual. But hey! Today's another day and after reading a few other blogs I'm back on track. I reminded myself to "just BE": Just to sit with the discomfort, acknowledge it and let it pass...

Breakfast - C.A.D.A. coz if it ain't broke, don't fix it. See yesterday's post for the recipe.

Lunch - this was where the blogs I'd read helped. They suggested getting inventive, so I created my first Paleo meal (with a bit of inspiration from this stuffed mushroom recipe). Firstly prepare your 4 - 6 field mushrooms  by brushing them or wiping them with a slightly damp cloth, cutting off the stem and scraping out all the feathery gills. Save all that black mushroomy goodness. Then saute half a stick of celery, quarter of a red capsicum, 2 garlic cloves and all the mushroom bits, 3 thyme stalks and two anchovy fillets plus some s & p. Then put the whole lot into a blender along with about 200gm of tinned tuna, one egg and a tablespoon of coconut flour. Pulse it to a chunky paste and spoon it into your field mushroom cups. Bake at 180 oC for 25 mins. I had mine with some braised kale. Hubby even commented that they were really good.



Dinner - Nachos is one of my absolute favourite "junk food" dinners. It's definitely because of the swathes of cheese, sour cream and salsa I normally top mine off with. The whole family loves them too, so I always have a batch in the freezer for an easy Sunday meal. I was keen to try this Paleo version from beautyandthefoodie.com. I wouldn't say that the topping tastes like cornbread, but it's such a clever and creative crust. I'm now thinking of other ways to use it: shepherd's pie, fish pie... When I looked at my store-bought jar of salsa, I saw there was sugar in it, so I quickly made a simple salsa of half a tomato, quarter of an avocado, a handful in total of mint, parsely and basil, a squirt of lime juice and some s & p. With the meat mixture, there was enough for two freezer meals so that I can enjoy nachos alongside my boys again too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment