Tuesday 18 March 2014

Giving Paleo a try

 
Day 1 - I started my month of Paleo-style eating completely unorganised. The fridge was looking a bit bare so my meals were "experimental". As such, I didn't take any photos coz they weren't pretty.
Breakfast - a smoothie of honeydew melon, a handful of spinach, a teaspoon of chia, 3 dates, a teaspoon of Super Greens powder and a cup of almond milk. If you leave it for 15 minutes before you whizz it up in the blender, the chia seeds will swell up and make the smoothie thick. It was yummy but I was starving by lunch as I went on a 7.5 km walk.
Lunch - I will make this again tomorrow and photograph it, as it was fantastic: a dollop of coconut milk on the bottom of an oven-proof dish, ribbons of zucchini rolled around in the milk as well as a fresh fillet of fish, some s&p and baked at 180oC for 20 minutes. I then topped it all off with some Paleo Hummus http://cookeatpaleo.com/roasted-cauliflower-hummus/and put it back in the oven for 5 mins to warm through.
Dinner - 1 chicken breast, sliced up, sautéed in extra virgin olive oil along with spring onions, garlic, broccoli and more zucchini (my friend gave me 3 huge schlongs of zucchini and after making zucchini bread and butter pickles, zucchini and walnut cake (both non-Paleo I'm sorry to say) and now today's dishes, I'm down to a manageable half left). I added some oregano and chilli flakes, roasted brown onion and pumpkin. Man I was hungry and very crabby. So I saved most of the roasted pumpkin for tomorrow's breakfast to give me some carbs early on in the day rather than having them in the evening.
Snacks - an apple, a small handful of almonds and cashews, some pepitas and dried apricots and a coffee with almond milk and several cups of rooibos tea.
Eating loads of veggies isn't too much of a struggle but it may take a week or so to get used to the lower carb intake. All in all, a great start. I don't think there were too many deviations. Maybe the dried fruit is a no-no?? Just let me have one little sweet treat... Puhleeeease??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment