Saturday 22 March 2014

Fish and chips on the beach

Day 5: I have my first "social" challenges today. Like with this whole Paleo caper so far, the trick is in the planning. Knowing what you're going to have when out and about. Perhaps even relaxing the food plan for a meal. More on my evening meal later...
Breakfast - I was happy to make my own C.A.D.A. this morning. I had forgotten about this Paleo gem, introduced to me whilst camping. Before this, I was a total muesli, yoghurt and fruit kinda breakfast girl. I have missed it a bit, as I never get sick of it. I'd have it three times a day if desired. So C.A.D.A. (that's Coconut Almond Date Apple, by the way) made the world feel much more normal again. I had had the pleasure of bashing a coconut to bits with my six year old the day before, so I added several chunks of fresh coconut, about 10 almonds, half a dozen dates, a Granny Smith apple, a sprinkle of cinnamon, some chia seeds and a slosh of coconut water into the food processor. The resulting bowl of bircher-muesli-style goodness was given a further slosh of almond milk - yummy. I love the tanginess that the Granny Smith gives, but you may prefer a sweeter apple.



The planets then aligned and my hubby and I found ourselves childless for a few hours.... so we went off on a bike ride and stopped for a coffee. Again, in the past I was a soy flat white girl and this time I ordered a long black and sneaked in my almond milk, procured from my backpack. Easy and no embarrassing demands made of the barista.

Lunch - Just keeping it easy, but I was hungry after my second workout: a mushroom and  broccoli frittata. 



Dinner - This was where I'd had a think about eating on the beach with my mates. Knowing it was fish and chips and knowing what a greedy little piggy I am around hot chips, I decided to make my own meal. I bought a bag of mixed root vegie chips, so I had a chippy experience along with everyone else, and a tub full of salad (lettuce, celery, herbs, sweet potato, diced up pork, avocado and my trusty dressing). Oh that was hard though! I really like chips and Barossa reds!!


My friends are well used to me making bliss balls, so I made these to add to the picnic. A cup of dates soaked in coconut water for an hour, a cup of almonds, a large tablespoon of cacao, several chunks of fresh coconut (dessicated would work fine too), a tablespoon of tahini and half a cup of frozen raspberries. I put the mix straight into the fridge to harden up before rolling them into bite-sized balls and covering them in shredded coconut. That Dutch cacao is so rich. It really makes you feel like you've had something very chocolatey.



No comments:

Post a Comment